Winter weather can be harsh on cars, but taking some steps to maintain it properly can help protect your vehicle and keep it running smoothly throughout the winter months. Here are some tips on how to care for your car in the winter:
- Cleanliness: Regular washing is important to remove salt, dirt, and other debris that can cause corrosion and rust. Make sure to wash the car’s undercarriage, wheels, and body to remove any buildup of salt and grime.
- Tires: Checking your tire pressure and tread is crucial for maintaining proper handling and traction on winter roads. The cold weather can cause tire pressure to drop, so make sure to check it regularly and fill it as needed. Winter tires with good tread are essential for driving in snow and icy conditions.
- Engine oil: Using winter-grade oil provides better protection for your engine in cold temperatures. Thicker oil provides more lubrication for the engine parts and helps prevent damage from starting the car in extremely cold temperatures.
- Battery: A weak battery can struggle to start in cold weather, so it is essential to keep it charged. Check the battery and alternator regularly to ensure they are functioning correctly. If you’ll drive less in the winter, consider using a battery tender to keep the battery charged and ready to go when needed.
- Visibility: Keeping your windshield and windows clean is essential for safe driving in the winter. Fill your windshield washer fluid with a winter-grade solution that will not freeze, and check that all lights are functioning correctly.
- Wipers: Ensure your windshield wipers are in good condition and working correctly to clear away snow and ice. Consider investing in winter-specific wipers designed for use in harsh weather conditions.
- Heating and defrosting systems: Ensure your heating and defrosting systems work correctly. A well-functioning heater and defroster are essential for driving comfort and safety in the winter.
- Storage: If you are not using your car for an extended period, storing it in a garage or covering it to protect it from the elements is best. Keeping the car covered will help prevent snow and ice buildup on the windows and body, and reduce the risk of rust and corrosion.
- Regular maintenance: Regular maintenance, such as oil changes and tune-ups, is essential for your car’s overall health. Make sure to keep up with your car’s maintenance schedule even during the winter months.
In conclusion, proper maintenance is key to keeping your car running smoothly during winter. By taking these simple steps to care for your car, you can help protect it from the harsh winter weather and ensure it is ready to go when needed.
CAR GUYS AUTO CENTER | FRASER, MICHIGAN
We are your local experts in automotive repair and maintenance services. Our team of certified technicians is dedicated to providing the highest service and quality workmanship on all your vehicles. We guarantee that all of our repairs are done right the first time.
At Car Guys Auto Center in Fraser, we specialize in a wide range of services, including oil changes, tune–ups, brake repairs, engine repairs, and more. We also offer free estimates and a satisfaction guarantee on all our services. Our shop is equipped with the latest diagnostic tools and technologies to ensure your car runs in top condition. We have the experience and knowledge to help you with your automotive needs.
Stop in today or give us a call to schedule an appointment. We look forward to helping you keep your car running smoothly!