Are you ever in a rush to get to work or school on time, only to find that your car won’t start? While jump-starting your car may get you to your destination, it’s always a good idea to replace your car’s battery before any other, more serious issues arise. That’s why it’s beneficial to know the signs that indicate your battery is about to die. Here are six signs that you need a car battery change, as suggested by expert mechanics.
- An Obnoxious Smell: An internal short or battery damage can cause gas leakage, resulting in an unpleasant smell like rotten eggs whenever you open the hood. If you notice this smell, get it checked by an expert immediately and replace the battery if necessary.
- Check Engine Light On: In most cars, the check engine light may appear when your car’s battery is fast draining. Get your car’s battery checked by an experienced mechanic to ensure it’s working at its full capacity or if there is a battery issue that needs to be addressed.
- Struggling to Start: As battery components wear off over time, they become ineffective. If this happens, it takes the battery longer to get charged to start. As a result, you may wait some extra minutes before the engine turns over. Before your vehicle fails you, take it to an expert and get the starting system examined. Opting for a battery replacement is recommended.
- Oddly Shaped Battery Case: Extreme weather conditions and elements can take a toll on the lifespan of your car’s battery. Exposure to extreme cold or heat can cause unexpected changes in a battery case. It may swell and crack. If you are currently residing in an area that experiences extreme weather, get your battery checked now and then.
- Signs of Corroded Connectors: If you see any ashy remains on metal parts of the battery, there may be an underlying corrosion issue. Corroded terminals – the positive and negative metal connections that are on the battery top – often lead to voltage problems. It also causes your vehicle to start late.
- Unforeseen Electrical Problems: As car batteries age, they lose optimum charging capacity. As a result, they fail to transmit as much energy as they would before. With time, this can result in other electrical issues. For instance, the car’s headlights may appear weak even in the dark. You may also observe that all lights are flickering or the more things you plug into your car when driving – like a phone charger – the faster the battery drains or dies. If you observe all these, you can assume that something has gone wrong with your car.
In conclusion, if you observe any of these signs, it’s time to get your car’s battery checked and replaced if necessary. Don’t wait for a more serious issue to arise. Always take good care of your car’s battery, and it will take good care of you.
Time to Visit Your Fraser, MI Auto Repair Shop?
Feel free to stop in and visit Car Guys Auto Center today or give us a call at (586) 285-4444! We would be happy to answer any auto-related questions you may have. We are located at :
Car Guys Auto Center
32639 Groesbeck Hwy
Fraser, MI 48026